The Darkness - A Poem

 


 

THE DARKNESS

The darkness surrounds me

Engulfs me, astounds me,

It snuffs the life

That yearns to be free.

It defiles me,

Reviles me,

Hurts me;

Blurs things until I cannot see.

I long for the light

The brightness of sun,

And moon, and sand,

And shore, of fun on

The dunes, a hand

Imploring - come out and

Play.

A voice saying, "Stay".

A heart beating against mine

For all time, in the brilliance

Of the sunshine.

But the darkness ensnares me

Impairs me, dares me

To live in spite of it,

To defy it, to grow to be free.

It laughs at me, halves the

Whole of me,

Takes control of the Me who would be.

I long to be rid of it

To wallow in it no more,

To follow the light beyond the door,

To close it behind me

Leave the misery outside me,

To be happy, to breathe free

To heal the sore.

But it opens so easily

It bleeds until I'm weak

And unbelieving of any kindness offered,

I'm a bother, a pain,

A picnic plagued by rain,

Disdained and ignored.

The darkness makes me a bore,

I know, I've lived through it before.

But I've got to get up

Leave the fretting to those who need it,

Be strong and be freed of it,

Walk bravely through the blight

Find solace where the light

Shines brightest,

Where my love calls in illuminated halls

Of caring, sharing,

Where the wind blows fresh and clean,

Sunny scenes abounding,

Sweet music sounding,

Unbinding, rewinding,

Loosing me, letting me

Choose the freedom I seek.

I'm no longer weak in the light,

The sight refreshes me

Inspires me, I am not tired,

I am free.

But the darkness …

 



 

Comments